Sunday, May 22, 2005

The Small Things


There were so many big events happening on campus during graduation weekend that I'm sure you've already heard all about them by now. If not, you can catch up on the news here. Instead, I think that I'll tell you about the small things on campus that I was sure not to miss.

I love sounds. That's why I carry a tape recorder with me most of the time. One of my favorite sounds in the whole world is the sound that is made when you you're walking underneath a covered sidewalk on campus, and you reach up and hit the grey metal pole with your hand. It makes a "ding" sound that is unmistakable. If you've ever walked to the alumni building after lunch on Friday, I'm sure that you know what I'm talking about. I love that sound so much that I wish that I could make that sound the ring on my cellular telephone or the alarm on my alarm clock so that I could wake up to it every morning. So, of course, I made sure that I hit one or two poles during my visit.

I also like the smells on campus. Is it my imagination, or do the yellow carpeted walls in the towers of the FMA have a unique odor. It's almost a metalic smell that makes your teeth hurt. I can't be the only one who's ever noticed this. Anyway, I wouldn't trade that smell for anything in the world. To me it's one of those "comfort smells," like chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven.

Comments:
Buzz,

Why no picture of Emily, Rey and me? Are we not good enough for your website?

jvh
 
Buzz, I feel the love! Nice work one giving picture props to me! Thanks man!
 
the only thing better than the metallic smell of the FMA is the smell of the library--damp carpet and paper. It just makes me want to get smarter every time I walk in that building. And the lighting in the library makes me feel like I'm in some sort of 50's Science Fiction movie.

ebr
 
buzz,

the yellow shag carpet is now being halled away in big red "carter" dumpsters. and the fma is looking like a sad stepchild surrounded by mounds of red south carolina clay. a few tears trickled down the sidewalk before it was smashed to bits, mourning the loss of the bricked planters and weary tree-friends that shared our talkings outside the giant amphitorium. all in all this reconstruction of the towers has caused quite a disruption to the campus. the good news is that the pastel rainbow so gracefully adorning the front of the building is soon to be destroyed. i've already requested the large letter "F" from Founder's. and a brick from the holly fountain.

email me.

j andrews
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Site Meter

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?